[syslinux] Problems with NBP chaining

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Wed Jun 12 13:11:26 PDT 2002

Roy Badami wrote:
>    It's not unloading and reloading the PXE stack... all it does is close
>    the UDP stack handle (which then gets re-opened if you're running
>    PXELINUX; another NBP might use the TFTP or the UNDI stack instead.)
>
> Out of curiosity, why don't you use the TFTP stack, rather than
> implementing TFTP yourself?

Because the TFTP stack doesn't support the operations I need it to.  For
one thing, SYSLINUX supports (and requires) multiple files open at the
same time.  For another, the PXE TFTP stack prints stuff to the console
during operation, at least on some cards.  (There is an override in the
PXE 2.1 spec, but earlier PXE stacks don't support it.)