[syslinux] SYSLINUX 1.75 released

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Fri Jun 14 22:14:09 PDT 2002

I have released SYSLINUX 1.75 -- this one is identical to 1.75-pre9
except the version number.  I have gotten enough testing done that I
feel it's time to release...

Changes in 1.75:
         * ALL: NASM 0.98.32 or later is now required to build
           SYSLINUX from sources.
         * SYSLINUX: put back in the workaround for the BIOS floppy
           table.  This seems to be a requirement for "extended" floppy
           formats to work correctly.
         * SYSLINUX: No longer warn if one is trying to boot on a 286
           or older.  The above BIOS workaround no longer fits if the
           requirement to use only 8086-compatible code in the early
           boot is maintained.  It made sense in 1994, but in 2002 a
           286 or older is a museum object.
         * SYSLINUX: Use a downright bizarre, stateful algorithm to try
           to guess the maximum transfer size.  I am *hoping* this will
           cut down on the number of systems for which -s is required
           to work at any acceptable speed.
         * ISOLINUX: Add a few more workarounds for various broken El
           Torito BIOSes.
         * Make sure .depend files aren't accidentally packed...
         * ALL: Fix bugs in the extension-detect code; this caused
           files like COMBOOT images and CD boot sectors to be
           mis-identified as Linux kernels and rejected.
         * ALL: Fix the return from COMBOOT.
         * ALL: Do some of the early groundwork for supporting DOS
           system calls in COMBOOT.
         * Get rid of unnecessary "near" directives, making the code
           bigger.
         * PXELINUX: Put the PXE stack back in the init state before
           invoking a chain-loaded NBP.
         * PXELINUX: Actually found the combination of calls that
           allows some (most?) PXE 2+ stacks to be unloaded from memory
           properly.
         * PXELINUX: Add "keeppxe" command-line option to disable
           the standard unloading of the PXE stack.

Get it from the usual places...

http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/boot/syslinux/