[syslinux] pxelinux and image selection? (fwd)

Roy Badami roy.badami at globalgraphics.com
Mon Jun 17 06:08:40 PDT 2002

 > BTW I tried booting "bstrap.0" file contained in the RedHat pxe RPM, and
 > this one has the stage2 PXE menu built-in.

I don't think bstrap.0 is really a 'stage2' boot loader; it's just a
normal PXE2 implementation for backward compatibility purposes.

As I understand it the only purpose of bstrap.0 is for backward
compatibility with network cards that don't implement PXE 2.

If you run the Intel PXE server, and a PXE 1.0 attempts to boot from
it, then I *think* that the server will give it bstrap.0, which is a
PXE 2.0 client.

I don't think bstrap.0 is useful in any other context.

	-roy