[syslinux] memdisk and winxp boot disk

Giulio Orsero giulioo at pobox.com
Tue Jun 18 12:20:38 PDT 2002

syslinux-1.75

We have many legacy boot disks (setup for nics, scsi adapters, ...) and I'm
trying to put all of them on 1 CD which would ask the user "which floppy
image you want to boot?"

I'm using isolinux.
I've a problem with the winxp boot floppy made as per:
http://support.microsoft.com/directory/article.asp?ID=KB;EN-US;Q305595
(format a:  and then  cp ntldr ntdetect.com boot.ini a:)

When booting off the floppy, winxp is booted.
When booting off isolinux+memdisk I get:

===
Cannot start Windows because the following file is either missing or
damaged:
<Windows directory>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
Install again a copy of the above file
===

Config is
label 9
    kernel memdisk
    append initrd=winxph.img

Using
	kernel winxph.img
causes a bigger error.

Other boot disk works perfectly using the above method.

memdisk messages scroll to fast.

Ideas?

Thanks

giulioo at pobox.com