[syslinux] memdisk and winxp boot disk

Giulio Orsero giulioo at pobox.com
Wed Jun 19 08:19:01 PDT 2002

On Wed, 19 Jun 2002 07:58:24 -0700, "H. Peter Anvin" <hpa at zytor.com> wrote:

>Roy Badami wrote:
>>
>> I don't think that's it.  I'm pretty sure that NT uses the BIOS to
>> read the floppy; the file it's failing to load is from the hard disk
>> of the machine (which would normally also be read via the BIOS).
>>

>Shouldn't it be trying to read it from the floppy?

It's a boot disk in a particular way: the boot disk has just the boot loader
and the kernel is on the disk, so it succeeds in reading the loader, but
when the loader searches for the kernel on disk, then it fails.
The boot loader reads boot.ini on the floppy to see where (disk/partition)
is the windows installation.

Thanks

giulioo at pobox.com