[syslinux] memtest86 problem

Roy Badami roy.badami at globalgraphics.com
Wed Jun 19 09:21:26 PDT 2002

- writes:
 > Hi!
 >
 > At first thanks for your great work!
 >
 > I started to make multiboot CDs 1,5 years ago, with Bart Lagerweij 's utils. I have a problem with the memtest86 floppy image, made by the authors in the .zip file, downloadable from it's homepage, when I use diskemu. Some days ago I found on Bart's page a new method to select boot images on CD with syslinux/isolinux/memdisk. I thought this is my solution! With LiLo I could start the memtest86 image from hardisk, but with diskemu I couldn't. The error number was 8000, and now it's the same when I tried to boot with isolinux/memdisk. A part of my isolinux.cfg:
 > label 5
 >     kernel memdisk
 >     append initrd=memtest.img

The above works for me, as long as memtest.img is a full 1440KB floppy
image (in which case memdisk will automatically recognize is as a
floppy image so the 'floppy' option is unnecessary).

However, if I use just the 84kb memtest.bin image image that
memtest86.org provides, then it doesn't work for me, even if I supply
the floppy option.  Note, that I wouldn't necessarily expect it to,
since the 84kb image isn't even an integral number of sectors!  I did
try to get this to work just by padding the image to a whole number of
sectors -- rather than to the full 1440KB -- but without success
(though I have to admit that I didn't try very hard, so I could have
been doing something stupid).

	-roy