[syslinux] memtest86 problem

Giulio Orsero giulioo at pobox.com
Wed Jun 19 09:23:30 PDT 2002

On Wed, 19 Jun 2002 17:42:21 +0200, "-" <bogi.ott at freemail.hu> wrote:

> diskemu. Some days ago I found on Bart's page a new method to select boot images on CD with syslinux/isolinux/memdisk. I thought this is my solution! With LiLo I could start the memtest86 image from hardisk, >but with diskemu I couldn't. The error number was 8000, and now it's the same when I tried to boot with isolinux/memdisk. A part of my isolinux.cfg:
>label 5
>    kernel memdisk
>    append initrd=memtest.img
>I read the source of syslinux-1.67 - syslinux-1.75, and the memdisk documentation segment of http://syslinux.zytor.com/ .
>I think, I should to use a memdisk command line option "floppy" (?). How is it correct?

>label 5
>    kernel memdisk
>    append floppy initrd=memtest.img

I'm booting memtest86 fine with isolinux.

label label
	kernel memtest

In my case "memtest" is just the memtest binary, not a floppy image.
If you use a floppy image you have to contact the author of the floppy image
or look into it to see how it's built, what it expects (it seems you're
saying it expects parameters).
My advise is to use just the memtest binary as a kernel image.

giulioo at pobox.com