[syslinux] Syslinux/isolinux: is this possible?

Seth Kurtzberg seth at cql.com
Thu Jun 20 21:43:36 PDT 2002

Peter,

I've made this work, in a manner very similar to what you suggest, at least
with an IDE cdrom, and then a root file system pivot.  I haven't tried to
handle SCSI or other possible cdrom types, so it isn't a general solution; on
the other hand in the last several months I've only had one user complain
because it would only handle IDE cdrom.  With this configuration the kernel
and enought of an initrd file system to complete the process fits on a single
floppy.

You could build a kernel that also has the Adaptek SCSI drivers, which would
get you another sizeable set of machines that you could operate on.

So, while I agree with you that a general solution would be a lot of work, a
limited but still very useful solution is not difficult to construct.