[syslinux] Syslinux/isolinux: is this possible?

Seth Kurtzberg seth at cql.com
Thu Jun 20 23:45:16 PDT 2002

True.  Some of the older kernels had some problems with ide-scsi with certain
drives, so it might be a good idea to include both.  Then, if you run into an
ide-scsi problem, you can reboot without the:

    append="hdc=ide-scsi"

command line flag.  (I assume everyone on this list knows that it is
typically, but not always, hdc.)

I think that you are right and almost all of the SCSI drivers could be
compiled into the kernel within the space limitations.  If you get near the
space limit, you can always cut out the most obscure ones (there is still a
driver for a Mylex EISA board, for example, which you aren't terrbily likely
to run across).

Unfortunately I've not found a way to treat the drive as both IDE-SCSI and
IDE; that is, if you use the command line option for IDE-SCSI, then you can't
refer to it as a conventional IDE device.  I use the ide-scsi command line
argument rather than configuring the kernel to specify ide-scsi so I can use
this workaround if necessary.  (Also the kernel configuration actually didn't
work, but that was ages ago and has probably been fixed.)

--
Seth Kurtzberg
MIS Corp.
email:  seth at cql.com