[syslinux] syslinux/ioslinux direct support for bootable iso images

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Sat Jun 29 08:47:32 PDT 2002

NoNameNoFace NoNumber wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Is there some way of syslinux or isolinux providing direct support for boot iso bootable images? I can use syslinux/isolinux to boot different ramdisks and floppy disks images fine on a single CD-ROM disk. But I want to use syslinux/isolinux to boot different bootable iso images from a single CDROM disk.
>
> Any ideas?

There is no reasonable way to do this.  If the .iso image uses
emulation, one could  extract the emulation image and invoke it... but
90% of BIOSes don't support this operation correctly (try the .img image
support and you'll find out.)  For no-emulation booting, you're SOL --
it would require an offset operation in the BIOS.

Furthermore, most .iso images will sooner or later load a device driver
and talk to the CD-ROM directly, which will break if the CD-ROM isn't
the one you really expect...