[syslinux] trouble using syslinux > 1.50

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Wed Mar 6 11:48:07 PST 2002

Sven Geggus wrote:

> --cut--
> FlashFx 4.02.204 (386 DOS)
> Copyright (c) 1993-1999, Datalight Inc.
> Datalight Patent US#5860082
>

> SYSLINUX 1.67 2002-02-03  Copyright (C) 1994-2001 H. Peter Anvin
> --cut--
>
> Afterwards the System hangs.

It's almost certainly an A20 problem.  First, you should complain to your
hardware vendor that their BIOS doesn't support INT 15h, AX=2401h,
especially since the AMD SC410 doesn't support the industry-standard
A20-switching mechanisms, but instead use their own setup.

There are enough SC410 problems that it is now a compile-time option for
the Linux kernel.  I can't resolve this without breaking other systems;
you can either get your vendor to fix their BIOS, or modify SYSLINUX to
use a different A20-switching mechanism.