[syslinux] RIS and PXELINUX

Mark Dieterich mkd at cs.brown.edu
Fri Mar 15 06:53:40 PST 2002

Hi folks,

I'm finally tired of dealing with floppy disks to control our remote installs
and thought that PXELINUX sound like a great way to go.  However, I've got
multiple hurdles and I'd like some advice before I get myself dug in too
deep...  We currently have Solaris Jumpstart and Windows RIS running in the
department and now we would like to intermix Linux PXELINUX booting.
Any suggestions on how this should be designed?

I tried a really quick test, following the instructions to set up a tftp
server and dhcp server, but the windows RIS server always answered the tftp
request.  We did have the next-server option listed in the DHCP server conf,
it's almost as though it is ignoring this option.  How are other people dealing
with RIS and PXELINUX in the same environment?  I looked through the past
archives and couldn't find anything really appropriate.  Any help/suggestions
would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Mark