[syslinux] pxelinux problems

Andrew Wallace andyw at hep.lancs.ac.uk
Tue Mar 19 03:08:38 PST 2002

Hi,

I'm seeing a strange problem when using pxelinux - it loads OK initially
and finds pxelinux.cfg/default, but then hangs.

Looking in the server's /var/log/messages, I find this:

Mar 18 14:01:38 fal000phys02 tftpd[24310]: tftp: client does not accept options
Mar 18 14:01:38 fal000phys02 xinetd[6441]: tftp service was deactivated because
of looping

If I reload xinetd twice, tftpd is reactivated and I get the boot prompt
on the client. If I type in the label name it says "Can't find image...,
but I can type in "vmlinuz initrd=initrd.img" and the kernel loads and
everything works fine from there.

The pxelinux.cfg/default file is a copy of the syslinux.cfg taken from the
Red Hat installation boot image, as I'm attempting to upgrade the OS in
100 boxes in a cluster that have no floppy or CD drives.

The cluster boxes use Intel Boot Client 3.0.3, and I'm using the
"conventional TFTP" configuration of dhcpd. The server is running Red Hat
7.0.

Can anyone see where I'm going wrong?

Cheers,
Andy Wallace