[syslinux] pxelinux problems

Andrew Wallace andyw at hep.lancs.ac.uk
Tue Mar 19 10:24:21 PST 2002

On Tue, 19 Mar 2002, Josef Siemes wrote:

> Hi,
> Andrew Wallace <andyw at hep.lancs.ac.uk> schrieb am 19.03.02:
> > I'm seeing a strange problem when using pxelinux - it loads OK initially
> > and finds pxelinux.cfg/default, but then hangs.
> >
> > Looking in the server's /var/log/messages, I find this:
> >
> > Mar 18 14:01:38 fal000phys02 tftpd[24310]: tftp: client does not accept options
>
> The rom resets one tftp request, and the tftp server logs this. No
> problem, just annoying.
>
> > Mar 18 14:01:38 fal000phys02 xinetd[6441]: tftp service was deactivated because
> > of looping
>
> xinetd thinks that the tftp server starts too often per second, so
> it deactivates it.
>
> Which tftp server do you use? Did you try to use the short daemon mode
> of tftp-hpa? Did you try to tell xinetd to allow several (e.g. 100)
> instances per second to be started?
>
> If you boot via pxelinux one client issues about 10 tftp requests,
> and these in much less than a second. This isn't a problem, but
> xinetd seems to think it is.
>
> Regards,
>
> Josef

Thanks for the explanation. It worked after I changed the default file to
get rid of some unneeded options. I still got the first error message but
it didn't shut down tftp and the installation program started. However,
from your message I'm guessing this had nothing to do with it :-)

I'm actually using the tftp-server version which comes with RedHat 7.0. If
I have more problems I'll switch to tftp-hpa and try it as a standalone
daemon.

Cheers,
Andy