[syslinux] ASUS P4-TE

Lars Rehe rehe at mail.desy.de
Tue Mar 26 12:38:22 PST 2002

Hi all!

I'm trying to install a suse-linux via network on a machine with a asus
p4te-mainboard (BIOS-rev 1005). There is a known problem with some screwed
up bios call that locks up the fdc which got "worked around" in recent
kernel versions. I'm depending on the floppy because there is a file
on it which is read during installation.
http://groups.google.de/groups?hl=de&lr=lang_de|lang_en|lang_nl&frame=right&th=4ebc695cf02bd3f9&seekm=9va0tf%24e5i%241%40wanadoo.fr#link1

So I create a boot-floppy from a 2.4.18 kernel and it detects the fdc. But
if i create a boot-floppy the suse-way with the latest syslinux version
and a 2.4.18 image the kernel denies knowledge again.

I found quite some issues with "braindead" bioses in the mailing-list
archives and now i wonder if this particular mainboard features such a
broken bios.

Please let me know, even if i'm completely wrong - i'm working on this
problem for quite a while and with every day it get's more and more
frustrating not to know what to do about it.

regards,
Lars Rehe