[syslinux] Re: Basic ISOLINUX question

Dermot Bradley bradley at oldcolo.com
Fri Mar 29 08:03:01 PST 2002

> This is possible, yes. you can make a bootable CDROM with isolinux,
> with a kernel that supports scsi CDROM emulation. then your 1st cd-drive
> will always be /dev/scd0 (iirc). you can say to your kernel that that is
> our / by using rdev: 'rdev <kernel image> <root fs>'. if your kernel
> would be called vmlinuz, then you should type 'rdev vmlinuz /dev/scd0'.

Well the CD will always be used via either native SCSI or SCSI
emulation. As I'll be using devfs I guess the device name would actually
be /dev/cdroms/cdrom0

I've never used rdev before - does it actually alter the contents of a
kernel image? If so then I guess "rdev /lfs/boot/vmlinux
/dev/cdroms/cdrom0" would do what I need.

--
Dermot Bradley
bradley at oldcolo.com, bradley at debian.org