[syslinux] Password protection

Tom Alsberg alsbergt at cs.huji.ac.il
Thu May 2 09:20:21 PDT 2002

Hi there.
Would/will there be a way to password protect providing kernel
parameters and choosing some boot labels in SYSLINUX? So that not
everybody can boot the machine single-user, with different root
devices, etc. (And also so that you would need a password to boot from
the local disk, in PXELINUX)?

We want to start using SYSLINUX, actually PXELINUX, here at the CS
department of the Hebrew University to boot many machines
diskless. Until now (and still, right now) we used GRUB, but GRUB has
several problems, mainly that it doesn't really do PXE - it can be
loaded from PXE, but it cannot use the network interface given to it
by PXE, so a driver is needed for every network adapter, but also some
other minor technicalities.
I started testing SYSLINUX/PXELINUX and it seems fine for us (wrote
configuration files, etc., and configured a few test hosts for it in
DHCP already), so we would probably be ready to deploy it if we could
just password protect some stuff. Most of the use will be for
workstations for students, so it's really necessary for us to be able
to do that.

  Thank you, any help appreciated,
  -- Tom

--