[syslinux] Password protection

Tom Alsberg alsbergt at cs.huji.ac.il
Thu May 2 10:08:04 PDT 2002

Hi there.

On Thu, May 02, 2002 at 11:47:50AM -0500, Michael K Ter Louw wrote:
> I realize that this is an honest request, but I find it interesting (and
> slightly humorous) that a Computer Science dept. can't implement this
> themselves in an _open source_ program like PXElinux.

We can implement that ourselves, would probably not take a long time
either, and that was what I was thinking of doing. But as with other
projects (most recent example - Samba), we check if there is something
like that under work (although as I see from the SYSLINUX code, that
will not be too much work) at the moment, or whether it is planned. We
don't want to change something that will be done by the developers in
some way at close time. And we do, usually, if the change is not too
specific to our environment, send patches of things we changed to the
developers for inclusion in further releases (both for the good of
users all over, and to save us from re-changing it in further
releases).

So if there is no such work in progress, or plans, I'll probably do it
myself... But I don't want two pieces of code that do the same job, so
I first want to know.

If we'll implement it locally, then we'd love if the SYSLINUX team
will accept a patch from us.

> Mike

  Best regards,
  -- Tom