[syslinux] odd pxelinux/tftp-hpa problem

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Tue May 7 12:43:56 PDT 2002

James S. Martin wrote:
> I haven't encountered this problem before.   This is from a Compaq
> DL320, with Intel Boot Agent 4.0.17 and tftp-hpa-0.28 running on
> Solaris.   The PXE stack gets its IP address just fine, but it times out
> on the TFTP.  While snooping on the Solaris box and grepping for TFTP, I
> found that the box gets one block of the TFTP transfer just fine.
>
>  TFTP Read "pxelinux.0" (octet)
>  TFTP Error: not defined
>  TFTP Read "pxelinux.0" (octet)
>  TFTP Ack  block 0
>
> and continues with the Acks until it times out..  I have no problems
> pxebooting my othe Compaq boxes with the same IBA version.  The "not
> defined" message is bugging me.  Any ideas?

That's very odd indeed.  The not defined is almost certainly an option
negotiation failure, most PXE stacks seem to force one on purpose before
starting the real transfer.

I hate to suggest this, but could you by any chance have either an
address conflict on your network or a hardware/cabling failure?  The
fact that it only affects one box our of a set that is known to work
well is sticky...