[syslinux] network boot nfs as root

Josef Siemes jsiemes at web.de
Tue May 14 08:38:33 PDT 2002

Hi,

<robvog at hetnet.nl> schrieb am 14.05.02:
> I am using pxelinux to boot kernel from network, which goes ok.
> But when root must be mounted from NFS, I get the following code:
>
> Looking up port 100003/2 on 192.168.1.1
> RPC: sendmsg returned error 22
> portmap: RPC call returned error 22
> ROOT-NFS: unable to get nfsd port number from server, using default
>  looking up port of RPC 100005/1 on 192.168.1.1
> RPC: sendmsg returned error 22
> portmap: RPC call returned error 22
> ROOT-NFS:unable to get nfsd port number from server, using default
> RPC: sendmsg returned error 22
> mount: RPC call returned error 22
> ROOT-NFS: server returned error -22 while mounting 192.168.1.1:/netboot/base
> VFS: cannot open root device via nfs, trying floppy
>
> server is indeed 192.168.1.1 and root of client system is in /netboot/base
> inetd, dhcpd, rcp.mountd, rcp.nfsd are running
> /etc/exports: /netboot/base   192.168.1.0/255.255.255.0(rw,no_root_squash)
> /etc/hosts.allow: ALL:ALL (for now)
>
> dhcpd seems to work fine: clients gets ip-address.
> tftp from inetd should be working fine since the kernel is received by client and executed.
> - though I get in log: in.tftpd:tftp: client does not accept options. I dont know if NFS needs tftp in some way, if so tftp could be the cause.

This is the usual behaviour. The PXE rom asks for some options, and
then resets the connection. In turn a second tftp request is done.

> Network (imbedded) card is recognised and passes self test.
> socket of nfs tcp is listening.
>
> In netstat -p |grep rpc I get:
>  dgram 56732 rpc.nfsd
>  dgram 55905 rpc.mountd
> While client looks for socket 100003/2 or 100005/1, mine rpc.mountd is on socket 55905. Maybe it is a reason for an error 22.

The port numbers are RPC numbers, not sockets. Try 'rpcinfo -p' for these.

Looks like you exported the NFS directory wrong. Did you try to mount
this directory by another client? How do you tell the kernel the
root FS?

If the portmap calls fail the server doesn't want to talk to the
client, perhaps it wants the client to be in the DNS, or else.
Did you try to put the IP of the client into /etc/exports instead
of the network address?

BTW, this has nothing to do with pxelinux, it's a kernel issue.

Regards,

Josef