[syslinux] Graphical Splash Screen

Norm Petterson njpinc at adelphia.net
Tue May 21 13:08:38 PDT 2002

Hello Matt,

While there may be other ways to do it, I just made a bootable
isolinux-based cd image that displays a personalized splash screen when
booted. Check out the "DISPLAY" command for syslinux; embed the
<Ctrl-X>splash.rle<newline> reference to your splash screen in the text file
DISPLAYed. It works great...

To make the .rle file, I used Photoshop (I know, I know, but I just started
with Linux last week!)
on a jpeg file, changing the image to 640x480 pixels and 16 color indexed
color. After messing around trying to find out how to get it to the .ppm
format needed as input to the ppmtolss16 program supplied with syslinux, I
found that I could save it as .tga, ftp it over to my linux system, and use
a utility called anytoppm that was part of what seems to be a well-known set
of image conversion stuff now called netpbm downloaded from sourceforge.net.
The ppmtolss16 program then converted that to .rle.

Not being at all familiar with Linux yet, it took me a while to figure out
how to embed control characters in the text file to DISPLAY, but I
eventually managed the <Ctrl-X>, etc... :)

Regards,

Norm Petterson