[syslinux] Memdisk

jsiemes at web.de jsiemes at web.de
Thu May 23 05:23:09 PDT 2002

Hi,

please don't post HTML.

>Sorry to bother you, but I don't know where else to ask about memdisk.

>               I'm trying to use memdisk + pxelinux with a DOS boot image, >is this possible? It works great with redhat and
>               debian install floppy images, but my freedos, and win98 >boot disk just won't boot!

>               Is there some special way to prepare a dos image other than >doing a sys a: or format a: /s in DOS, and then
>               dd-ing it to an image in my tftpboot directory?

>               You can see memdisk downloading the image, starting it and >then the system hangs before DOS finishes the
>               boot.

I have successfully booted MS-Dos 6.22 with memdisk, some Win98 Boot
disk had problems. Try different versions, since the different Win9x
releases (95, 98a,b,sr2,...) also changed their internal 'Dos 7.x'.

Your approach to generate the images is correct.

BTW, which version of pxelinux/memdisk do you use?

Regards,

Josef