[syslinux] boot speed

Jim Murphy friartek at xnet.com
Sun May 26 11:38:03 PDT 2002

On Sun, May 26, 2002 at 08:48:48AM +1000, websol1 wrote:
> From: John Plunkett
>·
> When Syslinux is used with floppy disks with a 1.44 MB format the boot
> proceeds at a good speed with no problems.  When a format over 1.44 MB
> is used, the boot takes up to ten minutes.  Is there a special setting
> for booting from floppy disks over 1.44 MB's?
> Is there documentation on how to configure with floppy disks with a
> format over 1.44 MB's?
>·
> Thanks,

Interesting.  Not sure this is the same thing I'm seeing or not.  Mine
may seem like 10 minutes, but it takes a long time to load initrd.gz
and vmilunz.  The message file displays ok, but the loading, 3 maybe up
to 4 times as long as normal.  But then, after "ready." prints out, it
reboots and starts all over again.  Using 1.68 MB formatted floppy.
Still troubleshooting, but don't know yet if it may be something I'm
doing wrong.  Testing was with revisions 1.67 and 1.72.  I know its
worked on earlier versions(1.48).

BTW, I had an earlier posting on serial output as a console with no
video card installed.  The message file only prints 15 characters on
each line then wraps to the next line.  Everything after the message
file prints ok.  Any ideas?

Thanks,

Jim

--