[syslinux] boot speed

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Wed May 29 13:31:32 PDT 2002

Jim Murphy wrote:

> On the speed issues: It speeds up greatly by using the -s option when
> installing syslinux on the floppy.  If I have time I'll try to create
> and boot a 1.44MB floppy to compare speeds.

This means that SYSLINUX tries to get the BIOS to read a whole track,
fails, and falls back on single-sector (-s) mode operation.  Currently
this isn't a "sticky" property, meaning that in the case of your broken
BIOS it will go through the same dance all over again on the next track.

Reading whole tracks is important for speed reasons on normal floppies,
but perhaps it should be a sticky bit.