[syslinux] 286 check and SYSLINUX

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Wed May 29 14:29:47 PDT 2002

I'm looking at dealing with some of the latest bug reports, and I'm
getting convinced that the only way to squeeze in the necessary code is
to abandon the idea of getting a useful warning if one tries to boot on
a pre-386 machine.  This warning was useful back in 1994, when I
originally wrote this stuff, but I can't imagine anyone actually caring
today.

Unless someone speaks up, it's going out the door, and if you try to use
SYSLINUX on a pre-386 machine you'll simply get a hang or crash.  Speak
now, or forever hold your pizza.