[syslinux] bochs+isolinux

Joerg jschulen at altmark.nat.uni-magdeburg.de
Fri May 31 04:50:05 PDT 2002

Hi Peter,

I tried isolinux-1.73, its great! Because of some problems making a
universal boot-CD I tried to use bocs-1.4 (a PC emulator, very good).
This emulator is able to boot a win98-installation-CD but fails on
self made isolinux-1.73-CDs. I can coot the isolinux-CD by a real PC
without problems.
Also a SuSE-Linux CD or an image of it which claims to use solinux-1.62 is
bootable in bochs, but if I try to make my own isolinux-1.62 CD,
again I can boot it on a real PC, but not within bochs.
I have no idea why. Could you please help?

I used
mkisofs -o cd.img \
  -b isolinux/isolinux.bin -c isolinux/boot.cat \
  -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4 -boot-info-table \
  -R cdrom

Hope you are interested and can reproduce that problem.

Here is a screenshot with isolinux-debug:
 Bochs BIOS, $Revision: 1.41 $ $Date: 2002/03/26 13:17:43 $

 IDE0-0: Generic 1234 ATA-2 Hard-Disk device
 IDE0-1: Generic 1234 ATAPI-4 CD-ROM device

 Booting from CD-Rom...

 ISOLINUX 1.73 2002-05-26  Copyright (C) 1994-2002 H. Peter Anvin
 isolinux: Starting up, DL = 81
 isolinux: Loading spec packet failed, trying to wing it...
 isolinux: Failed to locate CD-ROM device; boot failed.

I am familar with assembler and BIOS functions.
Could I help somehow to fix the problem?

By the way it would be good if isolinux would print a message
if it does not
find the file (kernel or image) on the CD (do not hang up after typos).

Thanks for your cool stuff,
  Joerg.

p.s. It would be nice if you give a tiny reaction also if you have no
  time and wont fix the  problem.