[syslinux] Problems booting with SCSI CD (update)

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Tue Nov 5 11:30:03 PST 2002

Theodore Kilgore wrote:
> OK, so what to do about a problem like this? As to the "just uses drive
> number 0, which is not autoprobed..." it MAY be possible to do something
> by entering the SCSI config utility if I would know what to do then (I
> have looked into it and it acts like it will do all kinds of stuff).

Nonononononononon.... this is BIOS, not SCSI.

Drive 0 is the floppy drive.  Always.  Without exception.

Hard drives start at 128 and CD-ROMs are supposed to have drive numbers
above that (129-255 is the legal range.)  ISOLINUX relies on this to
make it harder to accidentally screw up your hard drive (EXTREMELY
unlikely, but...)

I can hack up a special isolinux.bin and send you underseparate cover...
if nothing else it should give us some more information.