[syslinux] booting memtest86 with syslinux

Joel Brooks Ebel jbebel at unity.ncsu.edu
Sat Nov 9 08:42:52 PST 2002

I'm building a custom bootdisk that I would like to boot linux or
boot memtest86 (www.memtest86.com).  And I'm running into some
difficulties with recent versions of syslinux.  All I'm doing is making a
new label in syslinux.cfg called memtest and giving it kernel memtest.bin.
This has worked on and off for several recent versions of memtest.  It
worked in 1.67, broke in 1.70(loads image and reboots), worked in 1.71 and
1.72, and broke again in 1.73, and hasn't worked since, including 2.0.
1.73 and 1.74 load the image and just stop.  1.75 and later print one '.'
to the screen, make a nasty floppy drive noise and then repeatedly display
0400 until I turn off the computer.

I suppose it would be easy for me to just use one of the working releases,
but I like to use latest versions when possible.  I also thought this
might be something you may be interested in having working, since this
would be something very useful to do with many linux bootdisks.

Thanks,
Joel Ebel