[syslinux] IBM Token ring Cards, PXE1 vs. PXE2

Josef Siemes jsiemes at web.de
Tue Nov 26 02:45:11 PST 2002

Hi,

"H. Peter Anvin" <hpa at zytor.com> schrieb am 26.11.02 01:27:18:
> Phillip wrote:
> > Other then working with pxelinux or not, does anyone know the diffrences
> > in these?  Also, why pxelinux fails on PXE2?

> PXE2 is the modern standard -- PXE1 is long since obsolete.  It's
> impossible to tell without more information why pxelinux would fail with
> PXE2; it works quite fine with a number of other PXE2 implementations.

I found here that pxelinux only worked for the pxe1 rom. Also IBM says:

Remote Boot Application                                             Recommended PXE Version for Client Adapters
IBM LAN Client Control Manager (LCCM) V2.5.1          PXE1 or PXE2
IBM Workspace on Demand (WSOD) V2.0 or V3.0       PXE1
Microsoft Remote Installation Service (RIS) RC3          PXE1
OnNow Technology CCM V4.5                                      PXE1

(see http://www.networking.ibm.com/support/code.nsf/7108e0ae7a9be49d8525666b00526f37/2f7a4018b01e7b2885256ad90079c2c0?OpenDocument
)
So IBM itself usually recommends pxe1. Why they deliver the newer token-ring cards
with pxe2 installed (low-profile token-ring e.g.) is a different question ...

I didn't manage to even get it through the DHCP with the pxe2 rom. This is a while back,
so maybe something changed about this.

Regards,

Josef