[syslinux] Trying to build ISOLinux Minimal CD

Josef Siemes jsiemes at web.de
Tue Nov 26 09:33:21 PST 2002

Hi,

Michael_Slattery at NexPress.com schrieb am 26.11.02 15:54:31:
> Thanks for the response...
> I understand the need for Root to be r/w I have a solution for that...

The root filesystem itself doesn't need to be r/w. You could also set up some ramdisk for /tmp, /etc/mtab, ...

> With your comments I would like to change me setup to the following...
>
> Boot floppy, root = /dev/sda1 (which is a less then 1 Gig partitiion setup
> with common utilities, root file system)
>
> I'm not even sure why ide-cd is needed as I have a scsi cdrom, but when I
> do lsmod on my running system it's there!
> But no problem compiliing it it...

What Murali tried to tell you is that you
a) need a kernel that supports the medium from itself, thus including the used SCSI-controller,
sd, sr, ... for the SCSI cd-rom, or the ide-driver, ide-cd, ... for an ide cd-rom. You need to
access the root filesystem without the help of any modules.
b) create an initrd (that is already loaded by the bootloader, i.e. syslinux) that has the
needed modules, a minimal /lib, /bin, ... directory structure, and the needed tools integrated.
With this you can insmod the needed modules, and mount the root filesystem after the
modules were loaded. You need to know what you're doing, since debugging an initrd is
not an easy task. If you miss a needed library the binaries refuse to execute.

> Now my scsi hard drives... there is only a module availalbe for then,
> nothing to complie into the kernel, but when I boot with my (and
> superresuce) kernel, they see the drives!
>
> So is there something more I'm missing to get them to see the driver, or
> is that just some sort of discovery phase?

You need the 'sd' modules for this, as stated above: Everything for access to the scsi
disk is needed directly in the kernel.

Regards,

Josef