[syslinux] Question on docs

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Thu Oct 3 11:03:33 PDT 2002

Emilio Recio wrote:
> Stephen Brown wrote:
>
>>> No.  This would most likely be BIOS braindamage, although even that
>>> seems a bit weird.  What does mkdosfs -v report?
>>

>> Maybe the second computer doesn't support boot from USB devices.
>

> Yeah, it does. I think it's the USB chip. The thumb drive is 128MB, and
> the speeze drive has a 'mini' hub in it so that one side is copy
> control, and the other side is the drive. The only thing that I can boot
> is the 64MB NexDisk (which, btw, actually advertises that fact - whereas
> the others seem like fly-by-night two bit companies).

Hang on a picosecond here...

We're talking about non-floppy devices all of a sudden.  Here there be
dragons.

Does your BIOS treat this device as a floppy or as a hard disk?  If it
treats it as a floppy, you *must* have the correct CHS geometry when you
create the filesystem, or the resulting disk image will not work.  It is
probably impossible for Linux to guess what your BIOS will pick as the
CHS geometry.