[syslinux] Re: Does pxelinux work with >1GB RAM?

H. J. Lu hjl at lucon.org
Mon Oct 7 09:08:06 PDT 2002

On Sun, Oct 06, 2002 at 08:30:45PM -0700, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> H. J. Lu wrote:
> > On machines with 2GB RAM, pxelinux doesn't seem to work for me. With
> > Intel PXE, I had to limit the memory available to PXE to 768MB RAM.
> > Has anyone tried pxelinux on machines with >= 1GB RAM? How do I
> > limit memory to 768MB for pxelinux?
> >

> It had been run, successfully, on machines with as much as 6 GB of RAM.

The problem has something to do with MB/BIOS. I have an Intel Server
Board SE7500WV2 with 2GB RAM. If I disable the on-board Promise ATA
RAID in BIOS, pxelinux works fine. If I enable the Promise, pxelinux
won't work. It will download linux.0 and configure file. The machine
will hang after pxelinux downloads the first file specified in
configure file, which is

display pxelinux.cfg/pxe.msg

H.J.