[syslinux] small question regarding syslinux

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Tue Oct 8 11:19:33 PDT 2002

harald delmann wrote:
> hi,
>
> one pretty small question ....
> i wanted to create my own mini-distribution, using syslinux to boot the
> system.
> Everything works pretty fine, but now i wanted to see a graphic on boot
> time. :-)
> I saw i have to create a graphic with the file-extension .ppm ... but please
> tell me with which programm i am able to use such an extension? gimp? dont
> think so ...
> hope to hear of you ...

Sorry... misread the question.

GIMP is a good choice to create your image, actually.  Not only does it
let you save images as .ppm, but it also handles quantizing images down
to 16 colors quite well.

You can also use the netpbm toolkit, which is a bunch of programs with
be "ppm" or "pnm".  Say you have a .png image; then you'd use:

	pngtopnm file.png | ppmtolss16 [options] > file.lss