[syslinux] root device

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Tue Oct 15 10:25:50 PDT 2002

Dan Osterrath wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I created a bootable linux cd and always had to enter the root device (cd
> drive) as kernel parameter at the syslinux prompt. (i.e. linux root=/dev/hdc)
> I could not set a fixed root device as this cd should be bootable on other
> systems with cd drive as /dev/hdd or something different, too.
> So my question is, is there a way of letting syslinux setting this root device
> or can linux set it's root device to it's boot device?

No, there isn't, and there can't easily be, unfortunately, since there
is reasonable no way to correlate what device the BIOS used with what
Linux would call it.

However, there are two ways to deal with this problem:

a) Use the ide-scsi driver and specify the root device as /dev/sr0...
since both IDE and SCSI CD-ROMs will be treated as SCSI, it should be
/dev/sr0.

b) Use an initrd and search for a known file or label on the CD-ROM.
This is the method I used on the SuperRescue CD-ROM.