[syslinux] memdisk issues with 3com cards

Patrick J. LoPresti patl at users.sourceforge.net
Fri Oct 18 08:24:26 PDT 2002

Dave Andruczyk <djandruczyk at yahoo.com> writes:

> I've got 6 different disk images setup and the all work great except
> for the ones for the 3Com 90x cards.

My suggestion is to have one disk image, not six.

There is "universal" DOS NDIS driver which works with any PXE-capable
network card, provided the PXE stack is enabled (e.g., if you have
booted from the network).  The driver is named undis3.dos, and it is
included on 3com's MBA utility disk:

    http://support.3com.com/infodeli/tools/nic/mba.htm

You will need to add "append keeppxe" to your pxelinux.cfg file.

(With this driver, you are more likely to be able to use a
newly-released Ethernet card with DOS than with any other operating
system, including Windows and Linux.  I find this oddly amusing.)

 - Pat

P.S.  My other suggestion is not to use Ghost, because imaging is a
terrible way to deploy machines.  For an open source system which does
not use imaging, see <http://unattended.sourceforge.net/>.  It
provides a concrete example for how to use the universal NDIS driver,
and the author is a great guy :-).