[syslinux] strange problem with pxelinux - Config file size limit?

Josef Siemes jsiemes at web.de
Mon Oct 21 08:43:00 PDT 2002

Hi,

I have some strange problem with pxelinux. I have a quite big config file (>8K), with much labels
(29), long append's and some texts on the F-Keys (F1-F5). This works as expected, pxelinux
loads all labels without a peep.

Now I added 'kbdmap kbd-de' to this config file - and I get strange errors all over. pxelinux
reports several times 'Unknown keyword in config file.' and finally 'Missing parameter in config file.'.
It seems to work with this, though, since the keyboard remap happened, and also the F-Keys
report the desired texts, also I can boot the client as before. If I comment out this kbdmap-line the error stays there - still the 'Unknown keyword'! If I delete the kbdmap-line or if I comment
out all the F-Statements it works again.

My ideas:
- pxelinux has some limit for the config file
- kbdmap and F-Statements don't do well
- kbdmap redefined '#' - so pxelinux can't read the config file any more (is the config file also
processed by kbdmap?)
- too many labels
- some bug in pxelinux / the pxe stack / the network card that messes up memory
- ...

Any other ideas?

I tried this with pxelinux 1.76. I can also post the config file, the F-Files and the kbdmap,
but just wanted to make sure this has to do with it.

Regards,

Josef