[syslinux] strange problem with pxelinux - Config file size limit?

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Mon Oct 21 11:19:12 PDT 2002

Jim Wright wrote:
> I've also found what appears to be a limit in pxelinux for the number
> of labels.  It seems to be higher than what you have though.  I've
> worked around it be commenting out things.  My setup is working, and
> the only thing you mention which I don't have is a kbdmap statement.
> But the error messages you mention sound like what I encountered when
> I had a few more label statements in the config file.
>

> % grep -i ^label /tftpboot/pxelinux.cfg/default | wc -l
>      59
> % grep -i ^#label /tftpboot/pxelinux.cfg/default | wc -l
>      10
> % wc -c /tftpboot/pxelinux.cfg/default
>    9935 default
> % grep -i ^f default | wc -l
>      10

PXELINUX *should* have a limit of 128 labels.  Both of these seem to
have in common that the config file is more than 8K, which means it's
larger than the getcbuf, which could be the problem.

However, without actually seeing the config files it's all but
impossible to guess what might be wrong.

This definitely sounds like a bug, though.