[syslinux] Size limit for initrd in PXELINUX?

Duetsch Thomas thomas.duetsch at siemens.com
Mon Oct 21 13:48:01 PDT 2002

Hi,

I did compiled the kernel with support for up to 256 MB of RAM disk (that is
the intended size). It is a 2.4.9-31 kernel from Redhat.
The pxelinux version I'm using is 1.76 from kernel.org.
I only seem to have problems, when the initrd file I'm downloading exceeds a
certain filesize (somewhere between 8 and 12MB).
I did build a diskimage which was originally 128 MB but did contain very
little data, so it was only about 1 MB, when gzipped.
Everything worked fine with that and I had a running system with a 128 MB
RAM disk as "/", but as soon as I start packing data in the image file and
the gzipped file exceeds a certain size, I first get the error message
"Couldn't find valid RAM disk image starting at 0."
and then a kernel panic.
When I increase the file size, I don't even get there, but the system
reboots while downloading the image file.
I don't know what to make out of it. My DHCP and my TFTP server work fine (I
use the TFTP recommended on your web site).
BTW, are you German (because of your email adress)? Because if you are, it
might be easier to write in German, because thats where I'm from as well.

Regards,

_tom