[syslinux] Size limit for initrd in PXELINUX?

Duetsch Thomas thomas.duetsch at siemens.com
Tue Oct 22 08:45:35 PDT 2002

Hi,

I tried some other stuff and it seems to be a problem of my hardware,
because it works on a standart PC. I'm using a special server which has only
512 KB of free memory in the first 1 MB instead of 640 KB. So that's
probably were the problem is. Do you know how much memory pxelinux.0 needs,
and if there is a way to get it to work within the space that I have left?
Is there an (compile) option to tell pxelinux to use only the first 512 KB
and not to rely on the BIOS information. Just in case the BIOS provides
incorrect information.
If there is no such option available, do you think there is a way to change
the soure code, so that it would work. And if there is, do you have any
idea, were to start looking?
Oh, and regarding the "don't know why" thing, did you init your image with
zeros before making the filesystem? That helped to pack it down on my
system.

Regards,

_tom