[syslinux] Boot from Linux

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Wed Oct 23 10:57:05 PDT 2002

Josef Siemes wrote:
> Hi,
>
> "Henrik Lassen" <HEL at fomfrv.dk> schrieb am 23.10.02 13:17:18:
>
>>	Do you know how to boot from Linux???
>>
>>I reboot all the time and would like to skip the shutdown time (without cutting the power).
>

> you want to load&execute a new linux kernel from a running kernel? As far as I know this
> isn't possible. Or what do you mean?

There are a few systems which can do it, including the kexec patch that
was recently posted on the linux-kernel mailing list.

However, please note that you may find yourself having trouble because
the kernel you ran three weeks ago screwed up your hardware setting and
the current kernel can't deal with it.