[syslinux] Here we go - SYSLINUX 2.00 released

Jim Wright jwright at penguincomputing.com
Fri Oct 25 23:40:42 PDT 2002

2.00-pre14 worked with the "local" rule defined as

LABEL local
    LOCALBOOT 0

2.00 hangs for at least one of my systems.  The system that fails is a
Supermicro 370DER with dual onboard Intel Ethernet Pro 100.  It displays
the message "Booting from local disk..." and then hangs.  No "PXE-M0F:
exiting" message.  The keyboard LEDs are responsive, and I can reboot
with ctrl-alt-del.

Another system which works fine with both 2.00-pre14 and with 2.00 has
an old single PIII Supermicro board with a 440BX chipset and an old
Intel Ethernet Pro 100 pci network card.

On Fri, 25 Oct 2002, H. Peter Anvin wrote:

> Can't hold it off any longer... here it is :)
>
> Changes in 2.00:
>         * ALL: Add support for "COM32" (32-bit COMBOOT) images.
>         * ALL: Add an API for COMBOOT/COM32 images.  See comboot.doc
>           for details.  There is a C development environment for
>           COM32 being created; it should be ready at some point in
>           the future.
>         * Fix mbr.asm so that it actually works.
>         * SYSLINUX: The syslinux installer *SHOULD* now be safe to
>           run setuid root.
>         * PXELINUX: Fix bug where PXELINUX would override random
>           chunks of the UNDI code segment!  Thanks to Kevin Tran for
>           finding this bug.
>         * ISOLINUX: Fix a bug related to slashes in pathnames.
>         * ISOLINUX: Fix a bug in handling initrds over 128 MB.
>         * ALL: Make the <Ctrl-V> key print out the version; this is
>           to help debugging.
>         * Add a small script, mkdiskimage, to create a DOS-formatted
>           hard disk image using mtools.  This may be useful in
>           conjunction with MEMDISK.
>         * ISOLINUX: Search for a /boot/isolinux directory as well as
>           /isolinux.
>         * ALL: Fix a bug related to very long configuration files.
>         * PXELINUX: Work around a NASM bug which would result in no
>           delay before reset if an error occurs.
>
> ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/boot/syslinux/
>
> 	-hpa

Jim Wright, Senior Engineer
Tel: 415-358-2609   Fax: 415-358-2646   Toll Free: 888-PENGUIN
PENGUIN COMPUTING - www.penguincomputing.com