[syslinux] syslinux tool for Win2k and 'safeboot' option

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Sat Oct 26 13:28:36 PDT 2002

Patrick J. LoPresti wrote:

> Wouldn't this be fundamentally flaky, since TFTP is not a reliable
> protocol?  That is, the client could request the file, then the server
> would send it, then the client might request it again because a packet
> got dropped?

ALL protocols are fundamentally unreliable, including TCP.  It's just a
matter of the unreliability.  However, you're wrong about the level of
unreliability of TFTP.  TFTP contains a packet retransmit mechanism, and
a complete TFTP transfer failure is rare.  Besides, you could configure
your server to only change state after a successful transfer.

> If so, it is probably not even worth adding.  Better to use TCP to
> communicate with the server after the client has booted...

Sure, but how do you get the client back to a responsive state?

I am questioning the value of this feature because it seems to assume
that a remote way to reset the system exists.