[syslinux] syslinux tool for Win2k and 'safeboot' option

Josef Siemes jsiemes at web.de
Mon Oct 28 11:30:10 PST 2002

Hi,

Ole Hansen <ole at danelec.dk> schrieb am 25.10.02 23:24:40:
> 1.
> We use an IDE<->compactflash-adapter in our target-system. We use a
> USB-compact-flash reader/writer(SanDisk/ImageMate) on our linux-host to
> write the flash. It appears in the Linux-system as '/dev/sda', and we can
> use syslinux and mount for copying kernel, syslinux.cfg and our
> initial-ramdisk. This works very elegant.

note that linux uses this device as /dev/sdX, just like any other disk drive.

> If we try the same technic on a Win2k-system, the USB-compact-flash
> reader/writer appears as a non-permanent-disk and I can read/write kernel,
> syslinux.cfg and our initial-ramdisk as expected, but syslinux.com reports
> an error trying to write to bootsector(most likely a permission-problem).
> In the user-notes for syslinux, it says that this can be ignored and that it
> is likely to work anyway. I have now tried on 3 different systems without
> luck(Win2k/sp2).
>
> Has anybody made a version of syslinux.com that works on win2k on flashdisks
> ??

Are you sure that W2K treats the 'removable device' it reports as a plain
disk drive, or that the driver of the USB reader interferes with the MBR?

Did you try this (just for confirmation) with the IDE-CF adaptor attached to the
W2K machine? This would prevent changing the CF card while W2k is booted,
though ...

I think there's something wrong with accessing the MBR in the CF reader,
and so syslinux fails.

Regards,

Josef