[syslinux] memdisk hard disk image mkdiskimage error

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Mon Oct 28 15:49:45 PST 2002

Egan Ford wrote:
> ./mkdiskimage /tmp/hdimage 96 16 16 gives the following error:
>
> Syntax error at line 6 for drive Z: in file /tmp/mconfig.10266: if you
> supply a geometry, you also must supply one of the 'mformat_only' or
> 'filter' flags.

I guess mtools have changed their requirements for the config file.  Sigh.

> I tried both to get rid of the error, however dosemu will not mount the
> drive.  dosemu reports "header lacks magic string"

Hmm... looks like it's expecting a DOSEMU header.  I was trying to get
it to mount the drive image without a DOSEMU header.  Or perhaps I
should just byte the bullet and make MEMDISK (and mkdiskimage)
understand disk images with DOSEMU headers.

> I tried the disk {} syntax, however dosemu does not see the drive.  I
> can use mtools however.

OK, I will experiment later.