[syslinux] SYSLINUX 2.01-pre1 released

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Tue Oct 29 10:04:13 PST 2002

G. Murali Krishnan wrote:
> On Tue, 29 Oct 2002, Egan Ford wrote:
>
>>Using pxelinux.0 and memdisk from this release I boot the image and get:
>>
>>Booting...
>>FreeDOS FAT
>
> I have a similar problem using ISOLinux, but with Version 2.00-pre11.
> Basically I get
>
> Booting...
> Starting...
>
> and hangs. This is MSDOS. However, if I use PCDOS, I have no problems at
> all. My guess (may be a wild one) is that it has do with the interrupts
> which are interrupted by ISOLinux, or something like that.

It seems more than a little odd, since FreeDOS actually ships on an
ISOLINUX/MEMDISK CD, and MS-DOS is what I usually test with.  I know of
a problem with DR-DOS 7.02 which doesn't seem to be readily fixable
without introducing new incompatibilities.

This is the kind of behaviour I would expect if the C/H/S geometry that
MEMDISK generates is inconsistent with the one actually used to generate
the filesystem (which is critically important for DOS.)  You may want to
make sure that the C/H/S geometry that MEMDISK spits out is consistent
with what the filesystem was generated with.