[syslinux] Re: Boot Linux from Linux

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Wed Oct 30 09:29:31 PST 2002

Henrik Lassen wrote:
> Dear Mr. H
>
>               AGAIN:   THANKS FOR YOUR PRODUCT!
>
> I am building a Beowulf Cluster for Meteorological Simulations (DK government) and must boot the buggers over and over again.
>
> At present boot and configure nodes in 3:40 min.
>
> Fault tolerans and speed
>
> 1.	I can now promote a node to master (BOOTP/TFTP/NFS/Repository...).
> 2.	I can now push Repository to secret partition nodes and boot from the secret partition.
>
> I checked the KEXEC stuff and wondered that must be something you have been following.
>
> How would the call look like (i know its stupid but I really would like to understand this stuff nad how your SW could work:
>
>     kexec -debug PXELINUX.0 SYSLINUX.CNF

kexec runs a Linux kernel directly.  It doesn't use PXELINUX or syslinux
or anything like that, which are for from-scratch boots.

I'm a bit nervous about people using kexec when they really should be
rebooting, because of the "bug in the kernel three generations ago"
problem, however, there are uses where I think that can be useful.