[syslinux] Re: grub compatible

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Thu Sep 5 14:16:48 PDT 2002

Gregg Lebovitz wrote:
> Peter,
>
> The last time we exchanged mail, I was trying to get memdisk working
> with grub. It turned out that the problem with grub, is it uses the
> multiboot "semantics" and assumes the setup portion of the kernel is
> less than 8192 bytes.

That's just broken.  Completely, utterly broken, and it's just plain
WRONG.  The setup code is allowed to be 31.5K in size by specification.
 I WILL NOT support Grub braindamage -- that just encourages the Grub
people to do more sh*t that we have to support in the kernel.  We've had
enough problem with Grub braindamage as it is.