[syslinux] Re: grub compatible

Henrik Nordström hno at marasystems.com
Thu Sep 5 22:58:52 PDT 2002

On Fri, 6 Sep 2002, Bruce M Beach wrote:

> Since there I was some discussion about it I thought I would
> have a look at it. At the point when it couldn't find a scsi
> drive I gave up. My problem is that I have 4 scsi drives,

For pretty much any bootloader to work your BIOS needs to find your
drives. For SCSI drives your SCSI card needs to have a SCSI BIOS that
installs the drives as bootable drives to your system BIOS.

Not all SCSI BIOS:es install all drives by default, and not all system
BIOS:es allows you to set up a boot path to search more than one or two of
them.

You can only load the kernel from a drive known to your system BIOS, and
have to select one (or maybe two depending on your system BIOS) of them as
your boot drives for loading the bootloader and kernel. Floppy is one of
the possible alternatives.

Welcome to the fun of SCSI on the "PC" architecture.

Regards
Henrik