[syslinux] Re: grub compatible

Bruce M Beach brucemartinbeach at 21cn.com
Sat Sep 7 07:36:43 PDT 2002

On Fri, 6 Sep 2002, H. Peter Anvin wrote:

> Bruce M Beach wrote:
>>      warning: kernel is too big for standalone boot from floppy

>> This means you can't boot from a floppy without the aid of something
>> like syslinux.

   Ahh.

>> Its unfortunate that syslinux cannot read a e2fs because I find it is
>>   by far and away the best way to boot.

   > It might if enough people ask for it.  I've been considering doing an
   > "extlinux" for quite a while now, and have quite a bit of the
   > prerequisite work done.
   >  -hpa

   I think it would open one mighty big door. I've found syslinux
   to be as simple as you like (which is what I like) and as complex as
   you like. (judgeing from the amount of 'net' type boot traffic
   on the list) At this point I boot my main computer off a
   floppy(courtesy of syslinux), I booted 80 computers in my unix
   class off cd-roms last term(courtesy of sylinux) and this term I'll
   will be trying to boot off the network(courtesy of syslinux)
   If I understand correctly I could at this point create a small dos
   partition on a hard drive and use syslinux to boot the computer off
   the hard drive. This would elimate the need for that small dos partition
   and would be a very nice thing.  Well if I can help let me know. At
   least I'll be the first to test it.

   Bruce.