[syslinux] RedHat kickstart with PXELINUX [A small change for pxelinux]

Peter Lister P.Lister at sychron.com
Thu Sep 26 06:43:45 PDT 2002

First read http://www.stanford.edu/~alfw/PXE-Kickstart/

And, having noted...

http://www.zytor.com/pipermail/syslinux/2002-September/000848.html

...please note the correspondence following it, e.g.

http://www.zytor.com/pipermail/syslinux/2002-September/000849.html
http://www.zytor.com/pipermail/syslinux/2002-September/000857.html

> > I am using pxelinux to do RedHat kickstart install. I ran into a
> > problem. Both pxelinux and kickstart use
> >
> > 	filename "xxx"
> >
> > in /etc/dhcpd.conf for different purposes. Naturally, they won't work
> > together.  I was wondering if a small change to pxelinux could be made.
> > That is if the filename got from DHCP ends with a `/', pxelinux will
> > append "pxelinux.0" to it.

They will work fine together. DHCP distinguishes requests using the
Vendor Class Identifier. Changing clients in this way is evil.

http://www.ltsp.org/documentation/pxe.howto.html has an example of how
to tell ISC dhcpd v3 to give different answers to PXE and Etherboot
requests.

> (For what it's worth, the way Kickstart uses the filename is
> nonstandard.)

Is there is any particular standard? Kickstart just uses filename in its
own particular way.

I'll agree that properly designed vendor specific options would make
life easier than overloading the existing fields. Sun's network install
does this and it's much neater.